About Me

My photo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Gluten-Free-Girls-Guide-to-Chicago/166332553428937

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cassava

A hop, skip and jump away from Wrigley Field you'll find a "gem" by the name of Cassava.

With the help of my trusty sidekick Google, I learned that Cassava is a South American plant and the third largest source of carbohydrates in the word.  It also just happens to be gluten free and contains calcium, phosphorus and vitamin C (score!)

Anyways, I digress...so I stopped in for lunch over Memorial Day weekend and perused the all-natural gluten free menu of smoothies, empanadas, muffins, soups and rolls galore, finally stepping up to the counter and placing my order:

Mango Pineapple Smoothie, Beef and Cheddar Empanada and Grass-Fed Beef Chili please (topped with cheese ofcourse.)

My food arrived a few minutes later...and the verdict:
-The Mango Pineapple Smoothie was deliciously fresh, not too sweet and leagues above the likings of Jamba Juice.
-The pipin' hot Grass-Fed Beef Chili was A-MA-ZING!Seriously. Fresh veggies, high quality meat and a hint of Cincinnati Chili flavor (if you're from Ohio, you know this is a good thing!)
-Though the dough was slightly dry on the outside, the interior of the Beef and Cheddar Empanada was heaping with plentiful ingredients, tomato sauce and a hint of italian seasoning...and paired quite nicely with my Chili.

And on a side note...I went back earlier this week and picked up a bowl of the soup du jour BBQ Chicken Chili with Cilantro and it was also A-MA-ZING!

Check it out next time your in the 'hood!

Location:  3338 N. Clark in Lakeview
Website:  http://www.cassavachicago.com/
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cassava/139903779365190

No comments:

Post a Comment